Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pillowcases

Hi !

By the time I finished my catch-up post last time, it was too long to include what I accomplished that night: pillowcases!

I took time out of FMQ  to make a pair of pillowcases for S. Since he loves red and Disney Cars, I purchased some flannel a while back with the purpose for pillowcases. It's only fair, since I made a pair of pillowcases with Thomas and Friends for J.

The funny thing about flannel is: it's not as wide as regular cotton fabric, and it shrinks notoriously! I always pre-wash and pre-shrink flannel, otherwise, the object I'm making will be too small.



And after pre shrinking, I discovered that I didn't have enough of each fabric to make identical pillowcases. So I improvised!
I'm particularly proud of the red flange that I inserted in the all-Cars print pillowcase. It helped with some contrast between the main body and the band. But wow, sewing was difficult through all the layers where the flange is. Wow.


I used the free "Roll It Up!" PDF tutorial from All People Quilt's 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge.
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/freepatterns/

  There are no raw edges anywhere in the case with this method, as it shows you also how to sew French Seams. French Seams seem to have a bad rap as difficult and time-consuming, but the ultimate in couture sewing. I actually enjoy sewing them, and I love having no raw edges! The perfectionist in me doesn't like messy raw seams. I guess I got really good at them while making my wedding dress, with the slippery chiffon and satin charmeuse.


Look at those pretty, enclosed, narrow seams!


Now I just need to decide whether to gift these pillowcases to S. for Christmas or his birthday (which is right after Christmas).







No comments:

Post a Comment